Friday, April 24, 2009

A Rare Opportunity

This morning Jason and I, along with only seven other people, got to go to the New York City Ballet archives to view a select few artifacts: costumes, programs, photographs, even a little handmade book from Andy Warhol to one of NYCB's premier dancers, Tanquil LeClerq. It was downtown in the same vault that at one time housed all the gold for the federal reserve. We were 5 stories below ground in what looked like a bomb bunker. 

As I viewed the artifacts, I thought, What a time to be alive, NYC in the 1950's and 60's, with all those artists of so many genres rubbing shoulders and sharing influences!

Photos:
Costumes l-r on front row: Maria Tallchief, Gelsey Kirkland, Tanna LeClerq 
Back row, man's (forgot his name!) from Swan Lake, Tanna's costume from 'Cage', and Violet Verdy's tutu
Closeup of Violet Verdy's tutu
Andy Warhol's little book of hand-drawn cats nestled between the costumes.

My only regret is that I didn't touch the things more, or take more pictures. I was in too much of a reverent awe to think logically.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! That's incredible!
    But I'm feeling a little claustrophobic just reading about the "bunker".

    ReplyDelete