Wednesday, April 15, 2009

To Be Filed Under "The Social Experiment Continues..."

Been in Texas for the past week. It was hard. I felt restless, bored, jittery, caged, oddly alone surrounded by my family. But now that I'm used to being here I'm happy and relaxed. I think I need to expect there actually being a 'de-programming' or 'de-toxing' of NYC-ness every time we travel. If I know to expect it, I'll be OK for future trips. I honestly didn't think I was getting changed living there, but I guess that energy seeps in and you miss it when it's gone, even if it makes you crazy sometimes. (See: This whole winter and why I've been too melancholy to blog.)

Daisy noticed a San Antonio Taxi Cab on the freeway and pointed it out, to which London said, "But Daisy, that's not a real Taxi. Those are only in New York."

Leaving Target today in Texas, I asked McAllister to carry the gallon of Bubble Solution we bought. He got suddenly overwhelmed at the idea of carrying it all the way back to his cousins' house (3 miles away). London reminded him that we drove and he was instantly relieved. He happily carried it through the parking lot to the car.

Folks, the kid forgot we drove! He was fully expecting to walk it back the 3 miles' distance!

What is it going to be like, growing up as these kids? As I mulled over that question, a vision in my mind came of some B-movie mad scientist looking over his frankenstein-y robot thing covered in a sheet. With bubbling chemicals and electrical wires all around, he gleefully rubs his hands together. Then thunder claps, and as the lightening strikes, he exclaims, "The transformation is complete!"

Let's just hope at the end of this story the scientist remembers where (or in this case 'if') he parked the car.

2 comments:

  1. I was the exact same way when I would go back to Utah (Ogden no less) from NYC. I drove my mother crazy for the first few days of every trip as I bounced off the walls. Her incessant, ‘slow down’, ‘relax’ didn't help-- I liked the NYC pace and energy. But it does change you, gradually and unsuspecting--like a frog in slow boiling water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greaaaaaat.... The frog ends up belly-side up at the end of that scenario! Regardless, glad to hear it's not just me. I seriously thought I was going crazy. Good to know what to expect whenever I leave. :)

    ReplyDelete