Wednesday, December 17, 2008

In All Things Give Thanks

You know, I've thought a lot about this blog lately, what it's purpose is and why I put any energy into it. I realized that I created this blog from a "Hey I'm moving to New York, let me tell you about my culture shock" angle. Now that I've been here 6 months, I noticed that in an effort to sound interesting, I have tried to mock or criticize my life on this blog, either to make it more interesting or funny, or to show how different it is from the past 10 years of my life. I had it all figured out, then we pulled the suburban rug from under our feet and are standing bare feet in a truly unique place. A place that I have fallen in love with, in spite of its difficulties by comparison to the aforementioned cozy rug.

Truth is, I am grateful to be here. And my job hasn't changed one bit. More has stayed the same than has changed, my purpose in my family, with my kids and my husband. But here in this city I have a chance to enjoy my blessings just a bit differently. 

I become increasingly grateful as I realize that my husband works 10 minutes away, that unlike many dads who work in the city, our children are so central to his life. I'm grateful for the diversity my kids are experiencing. Their integrity and their values are being poked at, at such tender ages, and their armor will be stronger because of it. I'm grateful that when standing among the other moms, I am off the hook. Whether they work 60 hours in an office or 10 at home, or like me, have confidently stepped out of the professional world to raise children, I don't judge them and it has stopped occurring to me to even try.

I am just grateful for my healthy kids and family. I'm grateful that they've transitioned well and that I get to tell them as much as I do how much I love them. I have a husband who loves me and understands me, which is no small feat. 11 years and it still feels new! 

Happy Holidays. I will post pictures soon.

love,
nichole

By the way, if you try in the future to read it and it doesn't let you in, just email you and I'll re-invite you. For some people it kicks them off the invited list after a month or so.

2 comments:

  1. We all have reason to give thanks even here in Afghanistan. This has been a great time to evaluate the REAL things in life. All is well and can get even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these great thoughts, Nichole. You are awesome! Darcie

    ReplyDelete