Monday, December 22, 2008

WHO YA GONNA CALL?!? uh, the whitings...


Today for Family Night (after school, while the sun was still out) we walked 10 blocks up to North Moore Street, to the Fire Station. (The one featured in Ghostbusters, hence the logo below - just a bit of trivia) Right next door is Police Precinct 1, the first in NYC. But our focus was on the firefighters today. (And frankly, every cop I run into is rude and crass and yucky and always giving me parking tickets!)  
So we went to the firefighters and brought them sugar cookies with crushed candy canes on top. Yummy. McAllister is really growing up- he is usually a bit shy, but he said he wanted to be the one to talk to them, and he wanted to tell them, "Thank you for keeping us safe." So that's exactly what he did. And London said Happy Holidays. The guys were very nice and appreciative. So tonight our lesson will be on service and love and even though the kids froze, they loved the idea of approaching people they didn't know and showing appreciation. This will definitely be a tradition we do every year.

**********

Afterwards, London took a picture of what I look like every day, all day - Daisy in her 'cocoon', the plastic cover that we thought would only be used for rain but is actually great for fighting wind and cold, and me in my North Face coat, gloves, and hat. I forgot to mention that the high was 26 degrees today, which translates to about 15 or 20 with the buildings and shade and wind. Usually I have to fight to get Tass to wear his scarf, but that fight has ended and he wears whatever layers he has willingly! I need to go the the nearest outdoors store and buy sub-zero camping clothing, as if preparing to climb Mt. Everest. I am already wearing longjohn underwear and Sorel boots, but today I was walking to school and someone was actually wearing a polypropylene ski mask with only their eyes showing. I did a double take (it was a lady in a business suit) and thought, hmm... not a bad idea!

2 comments:

  1. Brrrrr! I would definitely have to hibernate and come back out in the spring! Is that why Jason is growing his hair out, to keep warm? Robert says to get him to the barbershop! What fun family traditions. That actually gives me an idea for an activity days activity. Hope to see you guys again soon. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm, I think I will quit complaining about the 80 degree weather in Dallas today. LOL

    ReplyDelete