Friday, December 5, 2008

Living The Life Vicarious

I got to live my dream of being an ice skater through my kids tonight; they were in the Chelsea Piers' Sky Rink "Holiday on the Hudson" Ice Show. They just started taking ice-skating lessons in September, and this was a show that the Skate School kids got to be a part of, along with other, shall we say, more seasoned performers. They skated to a Jingle Bell Rock, covered by Rascal Flatts, so they dressed in cowboy-themed clothes. Tass was non-plussed; he's just biding his time until he can play hockey. But London loved it and wants to take more than one lesson a week, which is no easy feat:
Words cannot express how physically demanding it is to get to the ice rink. It's in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan, but oh kiss of death, is 3 long avenues away from a subway stop. So instead of walking 20 minutes with 2 sets of skates, school backpacks (since we leave directly after school), and a 3-year-old with a stroller that would need collapsing and carrying up and down subway stairs, along with her bag of snacks and my purse, all in frigid 35-degree weather, we hail a cab and I pay fares both ways. OR I go to the garage, get my car, drive and park (on the street, free, but unpredictable, or in the rink's garage, $20). Either way, stress, cash, and sweat. And a few swear words, hopefully only under my breath. (!)
Every week I wonder if it's worth it. Tonight with the fun they had performing, I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment