Sunday, December 7, 2008

Uh, is this Times Square or did you just light up your tree?

We got our tree yesterday. Actually, Jason got it with the kids in Brooklyn. The tree we were looking at here in Manhattan was $125, but my friend told me to cross the bridge to BK and the trees were cheaper. So with the minivan, Jason found the exact same tree for $50. Cha-ching!
We made a whole family afternoon of it today, decorating the Christmas tree.
So the tree is up, but there is something seriously wrong. I got the L.E.D. lights, and instead of an ambient glow of twinkling lights surrounding the ornaments, it's like bla-DOW! Hot-white lights reminiscent only of Times Square (in a BAD way) or a criminal's inquisition ('We have ways of making you talk...') Not what I was going for. But getting the lights required a subway transfer and a lot of awkward bumbling around with a stroller and a cumbersome bag of 7 boxes of Christmas lights- going back to the Home Depot on 23rd is not an option. So we may go blind, but at least we'll have a well-lit tree. Where's that Christmas Cheer when you need it? Can it be delivered?

2 comments:

  1. oh man i wish we'd discussed this at dinner somehow - my parents bought the LED lights from HD too and my dad strung them all over outside and poor guy had to take them all down because my mom could not stand them. i never got to see them in person, are they really that bad? SOOOO fun to see you and your gorgeous house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny about the lights, but at least you have a Christmas tree. I don't have one decoration out...scrooge, I am. ;) Miss you tons and post some photos of your urban pad...I am dying to see it.

    ReplyDelete