Thursday, October 9, 2008

I love my kids, a bushel and a peck!

Look at me, in touch with nature! A big thing that is fun to do around is to pick apples, berries, etc., at the farms outside of NYC. I know you can do it in VA too, it just never appealed to me when going to Giant Grocery Store worked just as well. But it's an excuse to leave the city and see real grass and sky. We had a blast.
We went to an apple orchard a little over an hour away from the city, with a good friend and her 2 boys. When we got to the trees and started picking, even Daisy got in on it. She asked me after about 2 minutes, 'Mommy, can I eat one?' I told her she could and her eyes lit up. So she parked it right then and there and ate an entire apple. Then she said, 'Mommy, can I eat another one?' To which I replied, 'Uh, sure...' She picked another one and ate it as well, down to the core. Then she worked a little bit, playing around mostly, then, 'Mommy, can I eat another one?' She ate four entire apples! In every picture, there she is, chomping away. So cute.
McAllister was over it in about 10 minutes. London totally got into it, trying to climb trees to get to the apples. After we paid I got introduced to Apple Cider Donuts, which throws my penchant for Krispy Kremes out the window!
We took home a huge load of apples, and kept them in the fridge. I made 4 apple crisps at various times, with my nifty new peeler my friend gave me. The kids helped me, and while I can honestly say I ate my weight in apple crisp, the kids didn't like it as much and just ate the apples fresh like candy.
Yay Autumn-time! This is definitely going to be something we do often.

1 comment:

  1. Don't you LOVE the apple peeler-corer-slicer? It's one of my favorite inventions. It works well on potatoes too.

    Thanks a lot for this post (sarcastic). Now I'm going to have to make some apple crisp. The problem is that I end up eating most of it! :)

    ReplyDelete