Thursday, October 16, 2008

Overheard at the Field Trip...

One of the chaperoning dads, while walking home from London's Brooklyn Bridge Field Trip today, talking to his group:
"Well kids, on the news, when they say "Main Street" they mean anywhere that isn't New York City. When they say "Wall Street", that's another way to say New York City.....so right, there are real 'Main Streets' in some towns of the country, but some don't have a real 'Main Street'. But when the news says "Main Street" they still mean 'everywhere else but here'..."

I didn't know that it was that simple. So we just call everything outside of our city limits: "Not New York City, USA. Example: Not 'Des Moines, Iowa', rather, "Not New York City, Iowa". Not 'Chicago, Illinois', but "Still Not New York City, Illinois". Maybe shorten it to SNNYC, Illinois or something? (All together, now: "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?")

I guess we are us, and they are them. And I'm not sure that this ideology is something one should admit to adhering to. Boy do I have a lot to learn. Heaven help me if I do.

2 comments: